What is Tajweed, and Why is it Important to Learn the Quran With Tajweed?
Learning Tajweed is of utmost importance for Muslims as it enables us to recite the Quran in the best way possible. Tajweed, a set of rules designed to help readers recite the Quran as Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) learned from Jibreel, ensures correct pronunciation and understanding of the Quranic verses. Without Tajweed, recitation can be likened to speaking in English without proper grammar. In this article, we will explore the significance of Tajweed and why it is essential to learn the Quran with Tajweed.
What Does Tajweed Mean?
Tajweed is a collection of guidelines designed to ensure that each letter in the Quran is pronounced correctly and adheres to its distinct characteristics. By studying the Quran with Tajweed rules, we not only emphasize the significance of proper pronunciation but also strengthen our understanding and connection to the holy scripture. This separate field within our religious studies enables us to recite the Quran in a precise and beautiful manner, preserving its sacredness and aesthetic qualities.
Importance of Learning Tajweed:
There are many reasons why learning Tajweed is important, which are as follows:
- Understanding the Importance of Tajweed: It is essential to learn the Quran with proper Tajweed as even a small variation in pronunciation can alter the entire meaning of a word. The rules of Tajweed guide individuals in correctly pronouncing each letter, thus helping them avoid any serious errors when reciting the Quran.
- The Quran as an Intercessor: On the Day of Resurrection, it will come as a witness and an intercessor for its companions. By learning to read the Quran with Tajweed, we give it the respect and effort it deserves, knowing that it will advocate for us in the afterlife.
- Achieve an Infinite Amount of Virtuous Actions: Each time you recite a letter of the Noble Quran, you earn ten good deeds. Learning Tajweed allows you to correctly pronounce each letter, maximizing the number of good deeds you earn. Allah, the Most Merciful, multiplies the rewards for good deeds, so taking advantage of His generosity by learning the proper way to recite the Quran is highly beneficial.
- Enhance Your Bond with Allah: Learning how to read the Quran with Tajweed not only helps you avoid mistakes but also deepens your relationship with Allah. Correctly pronouncing each letter and following Tajweed rules instill a sense of love and reverence for Allah in your heart. Making Quran recitation a part of your daily routine allows you to strengthen your connection with Our Lord and Creator, providing a sense of relief and peace to your heart.
By understanding the importance of Tajweed and its benefits, we can approach the recitation of the Quran with the reverence and mindfulness it deserves. Learning Tajweed not only ensures correct pronunciation but also opens doors to a deeper connection with Allah and the countless rewards that come with it.
The History of Tajweed and the Origins and Development of the Rules:
The history of Tajweed dates back to the time when the Quran was revealed to Prophet Muhammad (SAWS). It was originally recited in a specific manner to ensure easy learning and understanding of its message. However, as time passed and cultures intermingled, the Arabic language underwent various changes. In the 4th century (after Hijri), the recitation of the Quran with Tajweed emerged as a distinct science.
Reciting the Quran with Tajweed not only emphasizes perfect grammar and pronunciation but was also highly advocated by many Sahabas. Initially, there were no diacritical marks or dots in the primitive Arabic scripts. It was the renowned scholar Abul Aswad al-Du’ali who introduced these marks under the guidance and during the Caliphate period of Ali R.A. as a means to enhance grammar accuracy.
Throughout history, prominent scholars like Seebaway, Al Khaleel, and Mazahem Khaqani played significant roles in shaping the course of Tajweed, both directly and indirectly. They emphasized the concept of “Husn ul Ada” (beautiful recitation) without explicitly using the term “Tajweed.” Today, the importance of reciting the Quran with Tajweed lies in its ability to preserve the true essence of Quranic recitation. It ensures that the divine message is conveyed accurately and with the intended depth and beauty.
Reasons for Implementing Tajweed Rules:
The rules of Tajweed assist in correcting the way the Quran is recited. There is no doubt that reciting the Quran should be carried out diligently and accurately. Some of the reasons for establishing Tajweed rules for Quran recitation include:
- Enhancing the Beauty of Recitation: Reciting the Quran with correct Tajweed rules enhances the beauty and rhythm of the recitation. By applying the rules of Tajweed, the reciter can produce melodious and harmonious sounds while reciting the verses of the Quran. This not only adds beauty to the recitation but also increases the level of concentration and spirituality.
- Preserving the Originality of the Quran: Tajweed rules are not just about correct pronunciation and phonetics, but they also help preserve the originality and authenticity of the Quran. By reciting the Quran with Tajweed, the words and verses are preserved in their original form, as intended by Allah. It ensures that the Quran is recited the same way it was revealed to Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) without any distortion or alteration.
- Showing Reverence and Respect for the Quran: Applying Tajweed rules during the recitation of the Quran is a way of showing reverence and respect for the holy book. By giving each letter its due right and reciting it correctly, the reciter acknowledges the importance and sanctity of the Quran. This demonstrates a deep level of devotion and humility towards the words of Allah.
- Gaining Rewards and Blessings: Reciting the Quran with Tajweed not only fulfills the obligation of reciting the holy book but also brings numerous rewards and blessings. It is narrated in a Hadith that Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said, “Whoever recites the Quran correctly, possessing both its language and its recitation, will be with the noble and obedient angels. And whoever recites the Quran incorrectly, stumbling in its recitation, will still receive one reward.” Therefore, by applying Tajweed rules, one can maximize their rewards and blessings from Allah.
Setting Tajweed rules for the recitation of the Quran is crucial for avoiding mistakes, interpreting verses correctly, enhancing understanding, improving pronunciation and phonetics, enhancing the beauty of recitation, preserving the originality of the Quran, showing reverence and respect, and gaining rewards and blessings. By adhering to Tajweed rules, one can ensure that their recitation of the Quran is accurate, meaningful, and impactful.